Saturday, February 19, 2011

Trip To The Big Apple (Part 1)

So that's it for Chinese New Year this year. A bit strange cause I hardly noticed any difference before and after. Except the two rounds of card playing (what my friends call AGM - try figure out what that means) in between, I guess it's just like any other day. Yes, including the work and all.

Anyway, that's probably just me (second time I've used that this week). I do wish that my friends have had a great celebration, or at least had a very good break from the daily routine to spend time with family and friends :)

I did say in my last post that I was going to blog more about the trip after I sorted out the pictures. I think I'll do the trip in bits so as not to bore you too much with my long-winded writing. As for the pictures, they are uploaded to my Facebook photo album and there will some I'm uploading with this post.

The trip itself felt as if it happened a year ago - although it was only 2 weeks ago that I arrived back in Penang. Despite the very long travel time involved, it was certainly worth the effort, and money to check out The Big Apple - had to pay extra RM1K to get out of New York after our flight got canceled.

If anyone is traveling to NYC any time soon and would like to stay in Manhattan - you can check out Hotel 31 - Thank you Irene for helping me with searching for the flights and accomodation! :) It's clean and cost wise, it's reasonable. And I do recommend that you stay in Manhattan if you are planning to stay only a few days and want to do those usual touristy stuff - it's just more convenient to get around. You can either walk to most places or take the subway, which cost around USD2.50 for a one way trip (goes pretty far I believe, so long as you stay on the same subway line).

The first night CS and I got there, the first thing we did of course was to drop our bags and just went wandering around, snapping pictures and I guess getting used to the cold - it was between -5°C and 0°C, and at that time we just came from Florida which was more like 8°C - 10°C.
New York Public Library at night
Fountain at Bryant Park

The next day we started with checking out Madison Square Garden, then routed back to Fifth Avenue and just made it towards Central Park. Along the way Fifth Avenue, one can visit places like the New York Public Library (which we skipped on the first day cause there was some filming going at the entrance and they didn't allow visitors to enter), the Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Trump Tower and the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA).
Madison Square Garden,
where famous matches were played/
fought. And like one friend commented
on FB, reminds him of MTV
Outside Rockefeller Center
One should go up the tower and
take in the view of Manhattan from
the top - it's really something!

Central Park was a pleasant surprised - although I have seen it covered in snow in movies like Home Alone 2 and Batman 2, it's quite an experience viewing it in person. Makes me wonder what it would be like in the autumn. The feel would be so different. Golden, brown leaves would cover most of the park instead and I'm thinking that scene would be very beautiful during sunset.
Central Park - All in white :)
Central Park - By the pond

And as the day got darker, we managed to get ourselves to the American Museum of Natural History - remember the movie, A Night at the Museum? Anyway, now that I look at the map again, it had been a long walk from where we started the day from - 31st (hotel) to 79th Street (museum), not to mention the many places we stopped by in between. I guess it made sense that after the museum visit we decided to take the subway back down to mid town  - conveniently there was a subway station on the 79th Street. We were tired and wanted to check out Times Square during the night still. Talk about maximizing time huh? ;)
Inside The American Museum of
Natural History
James A. Farley Post Office - huge!

Anyway, that's a stop for this round - not quite finished Day 1 yet, but this post is getting a bit too long. Will blog more the next time.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment