Thursday, March 6, 2008

Going Home for The Elections?

Well, I will be heading home later tonight,
1. To do my US Visa, and 2. The far more important thing, which is to cast my vote on Saturday.

The more I read the local so-called mainstream news, the more I feel that we need to vote the current government out so that they get a taste of being in the opposition for once.

I have never been a supporter of the opposition. I have always believed that working on a consensus basis is a good way to run things in a multicultural country. And I have always believed that Barisan Nasional was the lesser evil.

No longer.

Perhaps the availability of alternative news sources, coupled with a higher awareness of the on-goings in this country has allowed me to get a better view on things. Well, not so much of a "better view", cause from what I have seen, Malaysia is far from the rosy country that the incumbents have led us to believe.

If I believed that they were the lesser of two evils, then now I believe that the incumbent has grown a few devil's horn in a short five years. In short, it is becoming obvious that those who are so-called "ruling" us has grown from bad to worse, and they have become ever more arrogant and ignorant to the people's needs. It seems that all they care to think about is themselves - and how to pocket more money, despite already being filthy rich.

When they talk about distribution of wealth, it means distributing wealth among the pockets of the elites and the well-connected. When they say they will control price increases, it means they will still increase prices, just that they will do it in a "controlled" manner - instead of thinking of ways to lift our earning and purchasing power. When they talk about bringing more Foreign Direct Investments (FDI) into the country, it means keeping wages low to attract multinationals to set up factory and manufacturing plants - instead of raising local expertise to encourage the setting up of more research and design centres in the country.

When they say that implementing a minimum wage system would mean higher cost for employing foreign workers, it means they will keep telling us that the inflation rate is less than 2%, just to let your boss know that he can almost skip your pay increment this year - that is even if your nasi goreng has gone up by 50 sen without you having a say in it. When they tell us that if we don't vote them, we will not get our development budget, it means that without our votes, they cannot continue with their wealth distribution system.

When a minister tells us to "change our lifestyles", he really means that we should stop asking them to change theirs. When a minister pulls out a keris and tells us that he meant to use it only symbolically, it means he has dished us a plate of shite and wants us to swallow it - quietly. When we hear a minister rave incoherently during an interview (think Al-Jazeera) it was meant to demonstrate our impeccable command of English and to create some humorous moments during a tense situation.

Finally, when they tell us that voting for the opposition means less power for us in their government, it means we should take that vote and give it to them by shoving it up their arses!

Phew...now I can go vote logically and not influenced emotionally. So what does that tell you? ;)

5 comments:

  1. hahaha...I guess ... ...if no Rocket , Moon represent my heart, if no both ...so still hv a 'big eye'... to jaga Barang Naik ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it makes me sick to the stomach everytime i hear the vote BN ads on the radio. such self-serving blatant untruths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kitty: Hehe...good one! ;p

    Anon (06-Mar): Heh...it always makes me want to vote for the opposition more after reading the ads :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. woooaaah... came back all the way to vote!! i salute u!

    ReplyDelete
  5. zewt: It was my first time voting and it's a once in a 4 year event - something we shouldn't miss :)

    While I was getting stuck in traffic jam on my way back, I spoke to another voter - and he and his family who drove all the way from Bukit Mertajam to Terengganu to cast his vote. This year, I think a lot of people made the effort - and this kinda gives hope that people still thinks that it makes a difference.

    And what a difference it is this time :D

    ReplyDelete