Monday, April 7, 2008

The Land Below The Wind: Island-Hopping - Day 3

Originally the plan was to do the hike up Mount KK first before doing all the water rafting and island-hopping, since it's probably better to do the hike when we were still fresh.

Unfortunately, it was hard getting a booking for an accommodation at Laban Rata - and we had to modify our plans by moving all the other activities in the early part of our Sabah trip. We didn't really have much choice since we had already bought our plane tickets ;p

Anyway, as planned, the third day was all about island-hopping - namely Pulau Sapi, Pulau Manukan and Pulau Mamutik. These three islands are part of the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, which was established in 1974. There are two other islands that is part of the park, which are the Pulau Gaya and Pulau Sulug.

Early on the third day - I got my mobile phone clock set wrongly by the way and ended up waking an hour earlier than I wanted too ;p - we followed our guide, Mesius, to the boat terminal at Jesselton Point. The day was sunny and so we decided to walk there, while Mesius gave a bit of history of the city along the way.

This is Jesselton Point - it was refurbished (if I recall correctly) in 2006

A picture of the old Jesselton Wharf in the 1930s. There is Pang queuing up to help us buy the boat and park tickets. The tour package was about Rm43. We had to separately rent the life jacket and snorkel though, which was about RM15 for the two items - for the whole trip.

I guess she was fascinated with the old phone booth...we don't see them around anymore...do we?

Our way to the boat. With lots of development going on in the background. A hotel maybe? Or maybe that is part of the Jesselton Waterfront project.

We arrived at Pulau Sapi first.

I tried to snorkel a bit, but the water was frankly not too clean...I think at one point I came in contact of some seaweed and I ended up with itches all over my body - had to quickly shower to get myself cleaned up.

Well, what else to do then (if I can't snorkel) but to take more pics...

OK, despite what I just said...there was still plenty of people on the beach...well, perhaps I was unlucky...

The rocky parts on the beach...the water certainly looks clear from here...

The gals took the opportunity to have a group photo...

How can the guys not have one?? ;p

A photo op as we headed to the next island, Pulau Manukan :)

I was a bit disappointed with Pulau Sapi really and the whole island-hopping activity wasn't cheap either - if all we did were to stay on the beach and take pictures. And I wasn't about to go into the water again since the my experience at Pulau Sapi.

So we decided to go...

Jet Skiing! :)

OK, it was certainly NOT cheap - RM150 for two, for 30 minutes...Though, I guess it was worth it cause we really had loads of fun ;p

The first time I went jet skiing was during a company event at Batu Ferringhi. And that was free. This was my second time on a jet ski...RM75 per person...saved the day I would say. If not I'll probably have been bored on the whole island-hopping trip - and the RM43 I paid for the package would have been wasted ;p
So pour more money in to make interesting, eh? Doesn't sound smart, right? Well, I was on a holiday and wanted to enjoy it...so... ;p

Of course...we couldn't resist taking another group pic :)

And then it was off to the last island, Pulau Mamutik

We found a nice place to just float in the water under a shade...while we watched some plastic bags and other "alien" items float by...No, I'm not kidding...

And here I was trying to be funny...while WM posed very seriously for the camera ;p
We were waiting for the boat to come pick us up to head back to Jesselton Point.

One last pic with YL before we headed back to the hostel for a shower and then for dinner. I was already sun burnt by then. Dang...getting dark makes me looks thinner...Or maybe I just lost weight? ;p

We had chicken rice that night for dinner - supposed to be pretty famous. No pics unfortunately as all of us were too hungry and only concentrated on filling our stomach ;p Anyway, it was the end of the our main activity for the day. At night - since it was our last night in KK city - we went out for some drinks at the water front and just chat the night away.

More to come in The Land Below The Wind: Poring Hot Spring - Day 4


No comments:

Post a Comment