Monday, April 7, 2008

The Land Below The Wind: Mount Kinabalu - Day 6

My...this is taking longer than I wanted. There is so many things I wanted to blog about...but I guess I should really stick to finishing the series first since I'm so close to coming to the end of the trip.

Day 6 was the longest for the whole trip, since we had to wake up at 2am in the morning to get ourselves ready to the main hike up the last 2KM of the mount. I didn't really slept much that night due to the coldness and also partly the pressure - I had headaches the moment I tried to sleep. But I guess the adrenaline helped keep me charged for the final effort to fulfill this journey.

We did mange to have some Milo and instant noodles - though the noodles felt bland and really didn't fit too well at 2am in the morning. We waited rather impatiently for the guide to arrive at 2:30am with the other residents of Gunting Lagadan. Some of the more experience hikers told us to take our time as we ascended the first few hundred metres - the advice was that we should go up slowly so that we have time to get use to the change in altitude - if not we might not feel use to the sudden change in pressure, which could lead to headaches...dizziness...even vomiting. Not things I would like to experience even before we reach half-way up ;p

We didn't take many pictures - if any - on the way up because it was still very dark. Again, I'll let the pictures do the talking cause if I was to describe my thoughts and experience while on the way up, I'll probably take several entries to complete ;p Oh...and Pang had to opt out of the attempt because he didn't manage to buy a new shoes to replace his worn out boots. Pity really, cause I think he would have had any problems ascending the last 2KMs.

A snapshot of Gunting Lagadan - well part of it anyway - while waiting for out guide to show up.

I'm not sure if this was taken before we went up...looks a bit bright. But it was nice shot by YL of the scenery overlooking the area from Gunting Lagadan.

Not much trail to walk around - mostly rocky and a bit slippery, particularly at night where you can hardly see what's in front of you as you move about.

The journey up was...long...felt like I was never going to reach the peak. I took this picture as we were nearing the peak...I think it was about 500m to go. I really should have trained more...hehe out of breath every 10minutes or so (less probably ;p). Kitty and I went ahead of the others and kononnya tried to reach the peak for sunrise...haha...we tried and nearly made it ;p We missed the sun rise unfortunately as the sun hid behind heavy clouds and mist.

Hikers, all waiting to catch a glimpse of the sun rise, some waiting for more light before taking more pictures of the beautiful scenery - and beautiful it was!!

Low's Peak!!! We reached about 6.10am and after waiting for another 15mins, FL caught up to us. FL told Kitty and I that the others couldn't make it and headed back to Gunting Lagadan. Again a pity, but we were not about to miss the chance of a lifetime - must take some pictures as evidence of the climb!! :D

Hehe...more posing ;p

Haha...I haven't wore such thick clothing since I came back from the UK. Fortunately I kept those jackets ;p

We started our descend around 7am with the other hikers. We took our time and just enjoyed the scenery - truly breathtaking!

Haha...the trip down was far easier than going up. And far easier too, now that we could see where we were actually going. I was practically crawling up at some place for fear that I fall off some ledge ;p But most of the way was really rocky surface, albeit at an incline.

Haha...really feel like I was on the top of the world ;p

A final camwhoring picture before we moved off at a faster pace so that we can make it in time for breakfast ;p

YL posing against the Laban Rata accomodation. We stayed further up at Gunting Lagadan. Unfortunate for YL and his gf - and Pang as well for not making it up to the top. Let's hope they give it a shot again soon. It'll be worth it! :)

We had breakfast at Laban Rata before hiking down all the way to Timphon Gate - this time we went down straight via the Timpohon trail cause it was shorter, hence faster to lunch! ;p

Anyway, the trail was all muddy cause it started to rain heavily on the way down. Hehe...Kitty and I kind of ran down half the way - we just wanted to finish the trail. The Timpohon trail was more boring, with not much of a view, but loads of mud and slush. With around 2.2KM left to go, we legged it to reach the gate - with rain pouring heavily on our backs.

Haha...and were we shivering when we finally go to the gate. Quickly settled down and bought ourselves a nice cup of coffee while waiting for the others to reach ;p By the time the others arrived, most of us were starving and couldn't wait to get our hands on the buffet lunch - at 4pm ;p More like high-tea!

We made our way to a hotel - couldn't remember the name - nearby, had a good (and most importantly, warm!) meal, rested a bit and head off to Kota Kinabalu where we planned to stay the night before flying back to Penang.

Haha...I slept all 3 hours of the journey back to KK. I was feeling good, but while not exhausted - it was sure tiring. I was glad that I'm going home the next day ;p

Not pictures here, but we stayed at an inn near the airport - which was a pretty cozy little place. That night Pang got us to play a little game - a guessing game to be more precise. Basically he started a story off and we had to finish it by asking questions. Confused? Haha...well, I'll explain it another time...but suffice to say it was meant to spook us with the story and in some ways succeeded ;p

Anyway, with the rain and all, most of my clothes were wet and I had to sleep in my jeans and the remaining T-shirt I had...good thing we were heading home the next day ;p

I'll blog about the last day of the trip next- hopefully it wouldn't take me another week to do so hehe: The Land Below The Wind: Leaving - Day 7

No comments:

Post a Comment