Sunday, December 16, 2007

Shanghai 10 @ Queensbay Mall

Last Wednesday I had a chance to hang out with a friend and try out the food at Shanghai 10 (or Shanghai "Tian" to be accurate) at Queensbay Mall. It was my first time trying the food at there and I was kind of hoping it would not be one of those expensive and yet not quite nice places - i.e. not worth the penny ;p

I was told that they have a new menu

Anyway, surprisingly the food was pretty good and most importantly, not expensive - I know, I know, I sound like a scrooge already, but one needs to save the money for other growing expenses. Well, I'm glad that my friend asked to try it out and so we ended up nicely filled and satisfied.

Having read all the crappy news on the local media lately and how our politicians are trying to out-spin their way from the current supposedly bad publicity, this will be my attempt to write about something else - and post some pictures while I'm at it ;)

We ordered the following dishes and shared them...hehe that way we get to try out more stuff ;p

Shanghai Special Fried Bean Sheet - RM7.80
(The "bean sheet" is kind of translucent and the dish itself tasted a bit like "Char Koay Teow")

Peanut and Spicy Sauce "La Mian" - RM6.80
(Although it said spicy - and I don't take spicy stuff - I thought the sauce was excellent. Certainly wet my appetite ;p)

Breaded Chicken Curry Fritter - RM4.80
(As the name said it, it tasted of curry powder and it has chicken - not the best dish I would say)

Shanghai Double Boiled Soup Dumplings ("Siu Loong Pau") - Rm6.90
(This is of course the famous Shanghai dish and it was quite good. Plenty of soup and tasty ;p)


I took the pictures using my Nokia N80i 3M pixel camera - so it's not the best quality. You can view far nicer shots of their food on this blog: Eating Asia.

After dinner we wandered around till it was time for movie - we went to watch The Golden Compass. With all the religious controversy over this movie, I was curious to see it. My verdict after watching it is that some people were just oversensitive and all the noise surrounding it probably made the movie even more popular.

Just a short note for those who have not watch it yet and are planning to do so - this is based on the book called, Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman. This is the first book from a trilogy - so expect the ending to be a bit abrupt. And the reason why they changed the name is because New Line Cinema - who produced The Golden Compass - wanted to see if the movie is popular before moving on to make movies from the remaining books. Or at least that's something I read, somewhere on the web.

Anyhow, if you like fantasy type of stories, I do recommend this movie.

4 comments:

  1. I went there once, and the food is really not up to standard. Is the Siu Long Pau filled with blended meat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin,

    Yeah, I think it was blended meat - which I forgot to mention was something that that kind (I wouldn't say spoiled it) of made the dish lose a few marks in my book.

    I think they have a new menu, not sure how the old dishes tasted like, but the noodles and bean sheet was pretty good. Either that or we were just a bit hungrier than we thought ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. (-.-)! The Golden Compass sucks! LOL....Lousy movie!

    Thanks for the review of the food. I will never step into that restaurant. LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  4. LoLz! I guess I did a disservice to both then ;p

    Perhaps my taste might be a bit more simple - in both cases :)

    ReplyDelete