Friday, November 16, 2007

A cup of politics

From basically telling people that BN is the lesser of two evils when compared to PAS - which was more than three years ago - to now explaining to people that a rally for electoral reforms is the right of people living in a democracy. By the way, I still don't think PAS is a good option, but that is a story for another time.

Perhaps I did not get my car damaged. Perhaps I did not have to close up shop for the day and lose the opportunity to do business. Perhaps I did not get my shopping plans interrupted. Perhaps that's why I am supporting the rally.

What happened that day was that I came down from Genting with a friend and got on a train with several Bersih supporters still wearing their yellow t-shirts. They were talking about the march and some were sharing pictures that were taken. They were heading to Seremban - a smart move too I must say since along some of the towns police has set up checkpoints - if I'm not mistaken - to search for these supporters.

I now remembered why I stopped blogging - specifically stopped blogging about politics. I got tired of convincing the religious right about the need to form an inclusive political system for a multi ethnic and multi religious country. I got tired of trying to tell people to stop being racist and communal. I got tired of repeating myself on the merits of political awareness and active participation. There was like...a lost of hope.

I write with the intention to educate and create awareness. Who do you think you are? - Some might ask. You think you are smarter than me? - Some would say. Without disrespect nor offense, I believe there are too many ignorant and politically apathetic people around. Not only in Malaysia, but then again, my country matters first to me.

But there are far more socio-political blogs in Malaysia today. And they are doing a great job covering issues that would have otherwise been buried by the local media. Thinking about it, perhaps I should leave it to them and revert back to something much lighter. Perhaps it'll get me more readers. Heh.

Anyway, too much politics these few days is getting to my head. Need some coffee despite it being my bedtime now. A cup of these would be nice.


2 comments:

  1. the country is going thru a very interesting political landscape at the moment... so blogging about it is like catching the wave...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup...especially with the elections coming up, there will be more to write. I'm just afraid that the momentum will be halted after the election and that people will once again be complacent. I was guilty of the same a few years ago.

    Or all that we are pushing will come to naught if the incumbent government decides that freedom and rights should not be allowed at the expense of their power. And that they will move to suppress our rights - however little there is now - to speak and act in order to maintain the status quo. Although saying that, I don't feel the opposition is currently strong enough to push the government into such desperate acts.

    As bloggers, I believe we can only continue to push the envelope of freedom we currently have - in terms of disseminating information and writing passionately to bring about awareness on the need to participate.

    ReplyDelete