Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Musings

The year 2008 seems to be moving along quickly enough. It's already mid-month and Chinese New Year rounding the corner in three weeks time.

One of the things that I need to remind myself to do later tonight is to re-design the banner for this blog. Haha...I don't think I should have the Merry X'Mas wishes well into February. I kind of have some ideas on how it should look like...but probably spend the better part of the night drafting it out...and then the tweaks and readjustments...

Blogging has been sporadic these few weeks. We can put that down to
1) Not having any mood to blog
2) Writer's block
3) Occupied
Though I believe it's more down to being lazy - which I readily admit.

Musings...
I have been reading a lot books lately - actually they are soft copies of books, which I have downloaded using torrent. The first thing that comes to mind when people read this (or at least it should) are the words "intellectual property" or in short, IP. At first glance, it can be said that by downloading these materials off the web, without the appropriate license, means that I'm violating the writer's IP rights. And I am.

I used to buy most, if not all, of my books. I like collecting them, though I can only afford the small paperback version. So why the change? The simple reason: Price. A book that used to cost only about RM30 (perhaps less) is now closer to RM40 for newly published books. I can understand the rise of living standards and cost of living, and the inflation that comes with it, and the price increases of materials, etc. etc.

But has our buying power increased accordingly with our cost of living?

In Malaysia, where the government tells us that the inflation rate is only at 1.9% - and we all know that the numbers are biased - there is certainly no surprise at the low pay increments that employees in the private sector receive every year. That is if they are even given one.

With the amount of books that I read - or rather the amount I would like to read - the rising cost of books is making it harder and harder to maintain the habit. Because it's not only the cost of books I need to take into account of...and I think I can safely assume that most people feels the pinch in the rising cost of everything from petrol for transport to food stuff like noodles and roti canai.

Anyway, enough of that, less I be thought of as justifying my actions of downloading unlicensed stuff. I'm down to the third book of a collection of four. Can't wait to get home tonight and continue where I left off last night. Oh wait...the banner...hahaha...after that then ;p

Enough musing for one day I suppose. Though I'm interested to know, do you guys also download reading materials or do you still prefer to buy the original version from the bookstores?

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading on-the-line novel legally ;p

    Lets fully utilise the things provided by people with FOC legally !!

    I'm not willing to print it & sell it ... so not violate to the copyright law :)

    Somemore I do share the link with my friend (help them to promote their book)....hehehe.
    PLUS ... with the option CLICK CLICK ... I do help them to earn some money ; 1 click 1 cent (this is not necessary same for every website).

    With my higher contibution; by the law, they need to pay back to me ;p ...... sure if I do have inform the site owner & have a deal with them.

    So , lets to promote again ... this is my favorite website : http://www.xunlove.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. one thing i observed here now that i am in london is the mentality of ppl towards prices.... will certainly blog about it...

    so much to blog about but no time... sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  3. kitty: Haha...good spin no it...but still... ;p Thanks for the link, unfortunately I don't read Chinese leh :(

    zewt: What I observed - and experienced - is that for the first few months, Msians in the UK will be pretty price-conscious. But after they get used to not multiplying every price they come across by 7, it becomes less of an issue. This is particularly true if you are working there and earning in pounds - at least for me, I had more than enough to spend and save while I was there. This is what I meant with the difference of buying power in Msia.

    I'm looking forward to reading your write up of your experience there :)

    ReplyDelete