Thursday, January 24, 2008

Of Losses...Of Different Sorts

I'm wide awake in the middle of the night - or should I say morning, reading the news on the web. Several pieces of news made Wednesday's headlines (for me anyway) and one of them is the death of actor Heath Ledger. I'm sure by now, most of his fans who are bloggers would have already blogged about this.

A death of an actor...
The news did came as a shock and my condolences goes out to his family - and may he rest in peace. I clearly remember watching '10 Things I Hate About You'. I was studying in the UK at that time and while it was supposed to be a chick flick, I enjoyed it nonetheless. I enjoyed his movies, including the comedy (or supposed to be), 'A Knight's Tale'.

I wouldn't say that I'm a fan, but I do admit that it seems a loss for one so talented to depart this world at such an early age. So for those who has not watch his acting in the famous 'Brokeback Mountain' - do go and get the DVD and watch it. It was a great movie and I enjoyed both the story and the acting very much.

The New York Times has a piece on his unexpected death: An Actor Whose Work Will Outlast the Frenzy. Indeed.


US Biggest cell phone maker...more losses...
The other piece of news that caught my attention was that Motorola's share price has slumped after reporting a loss in the last quarter - quite unexpectedly. It is said that their profit has slumped by 84% - they made a net profit of only $100m as compared to $623m for the same fourth quarter period a year earlier.

While analysts have been hopeful that Motorola would make a recovery in the year 2007, it seems that turning around the slump - that was experienced since the fourth quarter of 2006 - is not going to be easy. And not to be soon either. Greg Brown - the new CEO - said that there will be further cost cutting - by $500m - which probably means further job cuts. Would it help? Got to wait and see I guess. Motorola share price is hovering around $10 and it certainly isn't helped by the looming recession in the US.

So are you owning a Motorola cell phone? If not, why not? Cause it sux, huh? ;p Though I do think the new Z10 and E8 looks pretty alright, even cool. But again, I need to pick up the actual thing before I can really say that I would invest money on it.


OK. It's 3.37 am and I think I need to hit the sack. But I'm still wide awake...darn...must be because it's so darn hot these days...

2 comments:

  1. he must have OD without him knowing it... but hey.. plenty ppl die in a day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. zewt: Yup...my guess too. And yeah plenty ppl die everyday...it just came as a surprised piece of news. And this incident should remind us not to take sleeping pills without proper prescriptions.Or better yet, try not to take them at all.

    ReplyDelete