Thursday, October 11, 2007

Giving it time...and being patient

This has been a long-ish week (pardon my English) - or at least it seems long enough. Maybe because there's too many things that I needed to do and all of them were of different stuff. Confuse? Haha...well for example, there is work related stuff, performance dialog, bank stuff and then there is the other 'thing' early in the week, which required me to take half a day off.

Not a lot right? Yeah, I guess not upon reflection...but work has involved covering for a few different areas - which has led me to start using a To-do List again, just to keep track. I first learned how to do to a To -do List when I was working in the UK. It's actually a requirement as part of the evidence for an NVQ Level 4 Management accreditation by the Chartered Institute of Management in the UK. Haha...I guess I just wanted to write that down - call it bragging or whatever - but it was something I really think of as a good achievement that has not been academically related.

Sad to say, I'm not really applying much from what I learned then. And I do feel it's a waste. Working as a software engineer, technical competency and my ability to deliver comes first- which in turn has a big impact on my performance. Yeah, I guess this is a continuation of my previous entry. Too much on my mind.

I have given much thought on my career and where I'm heading this week. And despite the stress that comes with it, I guess it's good opportunity and also one that I should have done earlier. In a way, some of the frustration at my current position is because of impatience. Being slow in picking up on work has got me thinking that it's going to take a while to climb up the corporate ladder, since there are quite a few senior engineers in my department and seems more capable to offer more in terms of experience and deliverables.

In the short term, I think the best course of action is to prepare a development plan for the year ahead as well as taking that the right actions that would enable me to move into another area, such project management. But I hate giving up on a challenge - plus it's not like I need to rush things, right? - and so will give myself that one year to meet the current challenge, perform and see if it was really worth it in the end. Remaining optimistic should be the key, no? Hard work pays they say, and so I endeavor to find out if it really is rewarding.

2 comments:

  1. To achieve Management NVQ level 4 students must complete 9 units, 5 Mandatory and 4 Optional.... errr .. what's the units,mandatory & optional .... ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically the candidate will be required to perform in several areas - which are broken down into several units so that it'll be easier to be assessed.

    A candidate is required to fulfill 9 units altogether. Like SPM, there are some subjects that are mandatory like BM, Maths, Moral, etc. In NVQ, 5 of them are mandatory - I can't remember which. But for the remaining 4 units, we can choose from a selection of choices to make up the total 9. It really depends on which units you can provide the evidences for, which are collected from your everyday work.

    ReplyDelete