Friday, February 22, 2008

Taking It For Granted

The Malaysian mentality would never change - despite the supposedly wider sense of awareness of the younger generation. In the world of the Internet and where access to online news and blogs is no longer a rarity, one would have thought that at least those familiar with the use of a bloody computer and the Internet would know the importance of those who are eligible to REGISTER as a voter for the coming election!

I found out that I was naive in thinking that well educated people would have better sense. But after speaking to a few of my colleagues, I can confirm that Malaysia still have a lot of work to do in educating its people on their duty and the importance of taking part in the country's general elections - actively.

A lot of us are guilty of taking for granted the right to cast a vote in a general election. Many of us failed to learn from the past and the suffering that previous generations had to endure before they managed to fight for the rights that we so easily put aside with vague excuses and tidak apa (don't care) attitude.

A lot of my colleagues are not even registered to vote. WTF??? And when I asked why, they gave me typical answers such as:
1) I'm not into politics - so how am I to vote?
2) I don't know who to vote for.
3) It doesn't matter, BN will always win.
4) It doesn't matter, things won't be different even if I voted.
5) I forgot to register.
6) I'll register for the next election. (HELLO???! Wait another 4 years for a chance to do your duty?)

I'm sorry, but excuses like these are pathetic. Not to mention disappointingly stupid in the view that everyone is complaining about this and that about the government, our economy, low income and rising cost of living. And yet, these people seem fit to sit back and wait till the election is past - and then start their moaning and whining again.

2 comments:

  1. yes, you will be surprise how many ppl out there are all in total ignorance... all they care about is their wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. zewt: Unfortunately, they forget that everything that goes on in this country is affected by the policies that our government make - even the size of their wallet.

    To not exercise the rights to vote is like allowing these politicians an entry into our wallets without so much as a "hello".

    ReplyDelete